Brent D. Wistrom
Journalist | Copywriter | Editor
Ambitious storyteller with a versatile writing voice, superior speed and pinpoint accuracy. Extensive experience with daily newspapers, digital media and social media. Fine-tooth editing skills. Creative solutions through intelligent communication and collaboration.
Maxavenue | Austin, TX | 2014-Present
An Austin-based real estate brokerage that provides a consumer-centric approach that gives clients more value for the commissions they’re paying.
- Developed content plans, digital strategy and editorial calendars
- Produced daily blogs about Austin lifestyle, real estate basics and home renovations
- Developed, wrote and edited agent farming letters, white papers and biographies
- Assisted with SEO, social media strategy, photography and video platforms
The Wichita Eagle | Wichita, KS | 2005-2013
The largest and most influential newspaper in Kansas. The Eagle, owned by the McClatchy Company, produces hard-hitting investigative stories as well as adventurous feature stories throughout Kansas and beyond.
Capitol Bureau Chief
- Produced investigative, explanatory and breaking news feature stories about state government and politics
- Led the newspaper in front-page stories from 2007-2010
- Received multiple state and regional awards for investigatigations, political reporting and feature stories
- Shot and edited video and photos for Kansas.com and related digital platforms
- Worked closely with reporters and editors on collaborative projects with our sister paper, The Kansas City Star
- Created, wrote and edited Kansas.com’s first political blog
Wichita Falls Times Record News | Wichita Falls, TX | 2003-2005
A mid-sized, daily newspaper that is owned by the E.W. Scripps Company and reports breaking news and feature stories throughout that huge swath of Texas between Dallas and Amarillo.
Projects reporter and Spanish publication editor
- Created, wrote and edited the newspaper’s first Spanish publication
- Investigated police recruiting problems that avalanched into mayoral recall, resignations from several top city officials and national media coverage
- Analyzed records to show area’s most dangerous roads; a lack of competition in local elections; and weak participation patterns in mayoral recall voting
Consumers Union | Austin, TX | 2002-2003
This fierce consumer advocacy nonprofit investigates, researches and publicizes major consumer issues across the nation. It is the publisher of Consumer Reports magazine.
Ford Foundation grant research and media intern
- Researched complicated mobile phone contracts and boiled them down to simple sentences that consumers can understand
- Wrote, edited and distributed news releases and policy papers
The Daily Texan | 2002-2003
The University of Texas at Austin’s student-run daily newspaper.
General Assignment Reporter
- Reported off-campus news stories on a weekly-basis, including the first-ever Austin City Limits Music Festival
La Farola | Guanajuato, Mexico | 2000-2001
A bi-weekly, bilingual arts and culture magazine published in Guanajuato, Mexico.
- Wrote concert reviews in English and translated them to Spanish with staff assistance.
- 2014 Heart of America Awards First Place in business reporting (state tax policy) for large dailies
- Wichita Eagle annual excellence award (2011 and 2012)
- Wichita Eagle Employee of the Year (2010)
- First-place in the Kansas Press Association government/politics stories (2010)
- First-place in the Kansas Press Association government stories (2009)
- First-place in the Great Plains Journalism Competition for government and political writing (2009)
- First Place in Kansas Press Association contest for news story (2008)
- Honorable mention for youth story in the Kansas Press Association contest (2008)
- National Writers Workshop speaker on covering disasters and lessons from the Greensburg tornado (2007)
- Second- and third-place for government/political stories in the Kansas Press Association Awards of Excellence (2007)
- Honorable mention for news story in the Kansas Press Association Awards of Excellence (2007)
- Wichita Eagle Story of the Year (2007)
- Honorable mention for deadline writing in the Texas Associated Press Managing Editors awards (2005)
- Times Record News MVP and Presidential Award winner (2004)
- Times Record News Rookie of the Year (2003)
Skills and Workshops
- Fluent in conversational Spanish. Lived in Guanajuato, Mexico for one year and completed advanced Spanish grammar and composition course at the University of Texas.
- 2009 Knight Digital Media Center multimedia fellow (more)
- Data analysis with Microsoft Excel and Access. Completed IRE CAR Boot Camp in 2005 and received additional training from fellow Eagle reporter Hurst Laviana.
- 2005 IRE Better Watchdog workshop
- Extensive experience with web-based applications and social media
- Video, photography and voiceover work
- Public speaking (university classes, PBS news discussion shows)
- Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, Google Drive, Google Analytics, GarageBand, Final Cut Pro, Excel, Access, Hootsuite and more.
Education and memberships
- Bachelor of Journalism (emphasis in magazine writing) from the University of Texas
- Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc.
- Maxavenue Senior Vice President Lee Abraham: 928-713-1563 at work. E-mail: Lee@Maxavenue.com.
- Wichita Eagle Editor Sherry Chisenhall: 316-268-6405 at work. Work e-mail: email@example.com.
- Wichita Falls Times Record News Editor Deanna Watson: 940-763-7528 at work. E-mail: WatsonD@timesrecordnews.com.
- Executive Director of the Kansas African American Museum and former Eagle columnist Mark McCormick: 316-262-7651 at work; 316-841-8288 on cell. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- More available upon request.